Thursday, May 1, 2008

Bring in the bling for spring...

One of my favorite jewelery shops in all of Brooklyn, Spangle (http://www.spanglejewelry.com/), is having a sale just in time for Mother's Day. I first stumbled upon Spangle last fall walking home from the art house movie theater in Cobble Hill with J. If it weren't for the soft green lights, the inviting floor-to-ceiling windows and the glass display cases that called to me from the street, I would not presently own one of my fav necklaces, or have met Brooklyn's coolest boutique owner.

As some of you may know, my man's not much of a shopper. I've learned to leave him at home when I need to exercise my womanly needs - easy, not
those womanly needs! But he must have really enjoyed the movie we came out of because I was surprised when he let me steer him off the main road and in through the doors of Spangle.

We were greeted immediately by Spangle's owner, Sharon Koweek, a warm, gentle and affable woman. I'll talk to just about anyone, and find something fascinating in just about all the people I meet, but when J does it's usually a pretty good indication to me of a person's character. Not that he's Gandhi or anything, it's just that he doesn't strike up conversations with people that he doesn't know as easily as I might.

It turns out that we have a lot in common with Sharon. For starters, she loves jewelery! No seriously, she and her husband also live in a crammed apartment in Brooklyn Heights and hope to buy in the area. And like J, her husband is in film while Sharon is a graduate of SUNY New Paltz, also like J. So while J and Sharon chat fluidly about film and real estate, I get to browse the display cases and the walls full of all her dangly, dainty and fabulous creations. Don't get me wrong, I love talking to Sharon, too. I especially love the fact that she doesn't require eye contact while we catch up so that I can browse efficiently.

So if you like unique jewelery and love a sale (it runs through Sunday May 11th) then you should definitely check out Spangle. And if you buy anything, write a comment or send an email about it so that I can live vicariously through you... oh yea, and please tell Sharon that I say hello.

No comments: