Monday, April 28, 2008

To change or not to change...


On an unusually warm weekend afternoon about a month ago, I walked into Diane T. on Court Street in Cobble Hill. They were having a sale and it was bedlam. I approached the sale rack and immediately a white sparkly number caught my eye. $750 marked down to $525. It was a hot dress but I was too overwhelmed by the crowd, the lack of ventilation, the price, and the fact that my fiance was waiting for me to return home (
without shopping bags).

But I couldn't get the dress out of my mind. I asked my friend Joie at work what she thought of a bride changing halfway through her wedding reception. A total diva, she replied, "Oh, I'll change at
least five times!" I told her about the sexy white frock that was marked down and that had caught my eye a few weeks earlier. She urged me right then and there to call the store and make sure they still had it.

The next day I was back at Diane T. I was met by the owner, Diane T., and a friendly and eager, young sales associate. The store was relatively empty as the two women prepped the tables and racks with colorful spring inventory.

I tried on the Catherine Malandrino dress (from the winter holiday collection) which was actually half off the originally marked $750! A steal at $375! It didn't zip over my breasts, but looked dynamite everywhere else. I was pretty bummed.

When the young sales associate asked what it was for, I told her I was deliberating about changing into a party dress for the second half of my wedding in New York City. She loved the idea and shared in my disappointment that the dress did not fit. I felt defeated, so I did what any sensible shopper would do, I browsed the rack some more. I came across a black shirt-dress with flowy, butterfly-like sleeves. It fit and I loved the look. It too was half off, so I bought it.

As I approached the counter to pay, Diane T. asked what occasion the white dress would have been for. The young sales associate answered for me and told her it was for my wedding. The owner's eyes widened then as her jaw dropped. She said she was going to guess that it was for my high school graduation. You could imagine her shock when I told her I was 30.

I could have kissed Diane T. when she said that, but instead a flood of other thoughts rushed through my head like, "What parent would ever let their 18 year old daughter wear that to her graduation? Was the graduate a star on Gossip Girl? Do I look like Billy Ray's offspring? How would an 18 year old girl afford a dress like this? Am I really in the same salary cap as an 18 year old girl, or better yet, her parents?"

When the compliment wore off (by the way, I had my hair in a ponytail and was wearing a short, pink plaid dress, looking unusually young that day), a long conversation ensued about changing into a party dress halfway through the wedding. Christina Aguilera had done it, Ivana Trump most recently did it, and I learned that Diane T. had done it, too!

An hour after I entered the store I left two friends richer, and $125 poorer. I walked in for something white and walked out with something black and still don't know if I am sold on changing from a gown and into a party dress on my wedding day. So I leave you, my readers, with this question: To change or not to change?

Mom, no need to take the poll, I already know your answer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Change, Change, Change and then change one more time!!!! I am all for the 'costume' changes throughout the evening. When my lucky day comes I know I will want to get in as many looks for this one night only ( if I am fotunate) affair. No way will I be able to decide if I want A-line, Mermaid, Princess or Sheath. Halter, Jewel, Scoop or Strapless.

Anonymous said...

I love these blogs...keep em' coming!!! I say CHANGE! Change is always good! Why not shine in a few pricey dresses that you will probably never have a moment to wear something like that again for a long long time...!!!! Live in the moment girl! ReeRun to the Shop!!! lol

Anonymous said...

I voted to change bc. I see nothing wrong with it...but here's my 2 cents...you have to remember that Ivana and Christina (don't know about Diane T) wore huge puffy dresses that were impossible for them to move in. As long as you can dance and feel sexy in your wedding dress there is really no need to change into something really slinky rigth away. For what its worth I would change into the second dress after the reception, like at an after party, but not halfway through a reception :)

gossipgirlxoxo said...

Sorry reedu's mom- I vote to change. Im totally going to use my wedding as a grand opportunity to have an elaborate photo shoot! The more "looks" the better. And besides, after a few drinks don’t we all just want to "take it off"...I mean that in a good way, of course.
In all seriousness, you are the belle of the ball and this is your big day so shine on you crazy diamond.

Unknown said...

I agree with Mom...what are you a Hilton all of a sudden!!?? Ok maybe thats harsh, but ive been in retail for 6 years now (god help me) and to read blogs about dresses and shopping....i guess it just got to me. Not to mention my stores in Tribeca have never seen a dime from you...guess you are
Maxxed (TJ) out. ;)
You know I love you and wish you only the best and most perfect day ever.

P.S. I think Jason should right a blog about the wedding to